Best Robot Vacuum Review 2018.
To help you in your search, I made this list of the best robot vacuums available.
** FYI: robot vacuum links go to Amazon (lowest prices)
✅ #1 Top Pick: iRobot Roomba 980 Review
Pricier than most robot vacuum cleaners, the Roomba 980 is best when it comes to convenience and a quality clean. (Def one of the fastest robot cleaners too!)
One of the add-on features is the AeroForce Cleaning System w/ Power Boost — censors detect flooring type (such as carpeting) and auto increases suction power
Also the iRobot mobile app (named “HOME app”) lets you decide when it should begin vacuuming – super handy when traveling. You can also give it a weekly cleaning schedule.
One of the downsides is the cost – it’s expensive!
But if you can afford the price, it’s 2-3x more powerful than a typical “robo vacuum”. If your home has a lot of rooms and money isn’t a huge concern – the Roomba 980 is the one to buy.
(At the bottom of this page we included a more technical overview)
Powered by your smart phone, the new Ecovacs Deebot N79S (evolved from the original N79) allows you to monitor your cleaning needs and schedule weekly cleans or realtime command. Perfect for those who work late at night!
Deebot is very much like Roombas – it’s a true “smart vacuum” which means you can program from your phone or tablet.
** Also check out Claire’s full ECOVACS DEEBOT N79S Review
Ecovacs mobile app lets you set up a cleaning plan and is compatible with both Apple and Android devices. The N79S robot vacuum comes with smart motion navigation and has 3 specialized cleaning system + 4 cleaning modes for any type of surface.
- Mobile App: Yes
- Performance: 3-Stage cleaning system
- Cleaning Modes: 4 specialized modes
- Smart Motion – auto cleaning mode
- High Suction – for carpets
- Spot Mode – specific areas/rooms of your home
- Edge Mode – edges and corners
- 1.7 hours of fade-free vacuuming power
- HEPA Style vacuum filter
- Max power suction capabilities
- Comes with remote control, power adapter, docking station
- Includes sponge filter, 4 side brushes, and 2 filters
- 12-month warranty
- Some possible mechanical issues have been noted. The warranty may offset some of these.
- Not compatible with Amazon Alexa. This may be a deal breaker for some consumers.
The new ILIFE V8s comes with all the bells & whistles you’d expect from a modern robotic vacuum cleaner. Best of all – it has a mop!
ILIFE is quickly becoming one of the bigger brands in the robot vacuum category and the V8s is quite an upgrade. It can clean any type of home flooring and is specifically designed to pick up imbedded dirt, dust, pet hair (especially dogs) and is quicker than many other vacs.
** Best part – the auto mopping function. It’s taken a few years to perfect, but from reading the online reviews it seems like one of the best robot vacuums that has dual capability
Thanks to the manual vacuum scheduler, you can easily set the V8s to mop or vacuum whenever you want.
** Also read Elizabeth’s full ILIFE V8s Robot Vacuum Review
- V8s mopping function
- Nice benefit if you have hardwood floors
- Great for pets, especially for dog owners
- XL Dust Box : You won’t need to clean out the dust box every 2-days
- Dustbin holds 0.75 liters of dust and dirt
- Layout Mapping : it will plan out its path around your home
- (most robot vacuums offer this)
- Enhanced Suction : able to pick up imbedded dust and dirt in the carpet
- Schedule vacuuming and/or mopping
- Newest robot vacuums with advanced mop function = it’s pretty expensive
Similar — ILIFE A8 Robotic Vacuum Cleaner
The ILIFE A8 automatically maps your home layout and creates an cleaning plan for it. The upgraded system is perfect for bigger homes since it’s sure not to vacuum the same area twice – sometimes an issue for the first generation robot vacuums.
A8 continuously senses furniture so it won’t bump into it harshly while making sure to clean thoroughly around it.
With the built in I-Voice tech, the ILIFE A8 comes with improved functionality: larger wheels, faster cleaning modes, high tech sensors.
Like other ILIFE robotic vacuums it can clean any flooring surface: hardwood, carpet, rugs, etc.
It’s also able to detect when batteries are low (like the Roomba 980 and Roomba 960) and will automatically return back to its charging dock. When fully charged the A8 will pick up where it left off (won’t repeat the same areas).
ILIFE V8s Cleaning Modes (4):
- Automatic Clean – traditional vacuuming
- Max Clean – increased suction (mostly for carpets)
- Edge Cleaning – for cleaning edges and corners
- Spot Cleaning – for specific areas/rooms of your home
** Similar to the ILIFE V8s it has a lot of the newer functionality, except for the robotic mop.
Most importantly it’s not too expensive – in fact I expected it to be much more than it is.
If you still think it’s priced too high for robotic vacs, checkout the earlier version – ILIFE A6 Robot Vacuum Here >>
Similar — ILIFE V3s Robotic Vacuum Cleaner Review
Before the ILIFE V8s is the ILIFE V3s – a value priced robotic vacuum cleaner manufactured specifically for pet owners. It understands that man’s best friend needs a powerful ally to keep the house clean.
Sleek design, this powerful robotic vacuum cleaner works best on hardwood or laminate floors.
14 advanced ‘smart sensors’ make sure it doesn’t run into your pets or crash into delicate furniture. Good thing too – as one of the fastest robot vacuums, it won’t ruin your appliances or bump into a sleeping puppy!
You can also place it upstairs – like the Roombas, it won’t fall down the stairs.
The cheaper price is also a huge benefit if this is your first time buying a robot vacuum. It’s under-rated on sites like Amazon, but I think it’s one of the best robot vacuums out there!
- 4 cleaning mode options
- Spot cleaning – for deep cleaning specific areas
- Auto clean – automatically roams your home using map function
- Edge cleaning – runs along the wall sides of your home
- Schedule cleaning – manually set times and days for the A5s to clean
- Comes with remote control
- Includes: charging dock, +1 filter, +1 brush, cleaning brush, and mop cloth
- Specifically designed for pet hair (especially homes w/ dogs that shed a lot!)
- There are 14 sets of smart sensors which prevent bumping furniture and falling down stairs
- Cheaper price!
- Doesn’t work on overly cluttered floors
- Filter needs to be cleaned monthly, especially if there are multiple pets in the house
The Deik brand has not caught on in USA or Canada yet, but they are a huge hit in the Europe – specifically the UK.
Deik Robot Vacuum Cleaner has 5-cleaning modes to ensure that no matter what kind of mess has been made, it can handle it. These include auto cleaning, spot cleaning, wall follow cleaning, and turbo boost cleaning.
Includes a cleaning mode with a gyro sensor for extra-suction power: home carpets and rugs
** Also read Sarah’s review of the new Deik Robotic Vacuum Cleaner & Smart Mop
Upgraded home sensors will help it avoid bumping into furniture (necessary for wood you don’t want scratched) and will avoid falling down stairs – typical problem with the first generation robot vacuums, but not this one!
⭐⭐ Best Robot Vacuum Cleaner for Low Noise ⭐⭐
Deik Robot Vacuum Cleaner is capable of sweeping, vacuuming, and wet or dry mopping which are nice features to have in one appliance.
- Mopping tank: 650 ml
- Charge time: 4.5 hours
- ** Very quiet robot vacuum
- 5 cleaning modes for all types of vacuuming scenarios + 4 brushes
- HEPA filter
- Gyro sensor for better suction capabilities
- Comes with smart water tank for mopping
- Remote control for easy control around the house
- Large dust bin – 900 ml
- AC power adapter charging base
- Programmable schedule
- Set up the vacuum before you go to work!
- Warranty: 15-month warranty
- While the vacuum boasts of upgraded sensor technology, there is never a guarantee that it won’t damage breakable furniture.
- Might have a hard time returning to its docking station.
The Neato D7 is one of the newer ones on the market, but already has stellar reviews online.
WiFi connected and multiple cleaning modes, it has a longer ion battery charge of 120 minutes and according to reviews – much quieter than other robot vacs.
Like the Roomba 980 it comes with virtual wall barriers so you can tell it which part of the home to vacuum.
You’re also able to schedule daily or weekly cleanings, pick up pet hair deep in the carpet (using Ultra Performance Filter), and mobilize it using the app.
- Extra large dirt bin
- Eco and Turbo mode depending on surface
- Quieter than other robot vacuums
- WiFi connectivity and mobile app enabled
- 2x as fast as the original Neato
- Captures small particles deep in carpeting
- Perfect robot vacuum for pets! (especially dog owners)
- 2-hour battery life
- Neato D7 model is more expensive than you’d think… unfortunately
Similar — Neato Botvac D80 Robot Vacuum Review
Instead of worrying about the constant need to sweep or vacuum, Neato’s LaserSmart technology is able to map your home’s layout and plan a cleaning route to hit each area. You’ll also fall in love with its SpinFlow power cleaning for super vacuum suction.
If you have pets or allergies, then you know the importance of keeping your house clean. Pet hair and dust should be continually removed in a homes for optimal air quality.
Botvac’s D-shape design is great at getting into corners and tight spaces and its navigation system stops it from bumping into objects.
When it’s finished with the cleaning route, like the Roomba, it returns back to the charging base.
- Comes with combo and blade brushes that can be swapped out
- Automatically returns to charger and once charged, resumes cleaning
- Laser Smart Mapping for home navigation and scheduling
- Spin Flow Power Clean for ultimate suction power
- Advanced Navigation System
- includes scanning, mapping and, most importantly, cleaning
- Can sometimes get stuck under objects like beds
- Some minor mechanical issues may arise
There is perhaps nothing more synonymous to robotic vacuums than the Roomba, which has been at the forefront of this latest technological advancement (Roomba is known to produce the best robot vacuums internationally as well)
iRobot Roomba 652 is not the latest model, but has many of the best nuances you would expect.
Among other features, the 652 uses a powerful 3-phase system for cleaning and automatically recognizes and switches between programs for various floor types such as carpets, hardwoods, tiles, and more.
Other robotic vacuum cleaners have problems on different surfaces and few clean deep carpets, but not the 652 or higher versions.
From intelligent sensors to auto-adjustment, the Roomba tries its best to clean every nook and cranny in your house.
Dirt detectors are my favorite feature – extra suction for this is a huge plus for homes with kids (obviously! lol)
- Comes with charging station, extra filter, and manual
- 3-phase vacuum system for all types of vacuum scenarios
- Can create up to 7 different cleaning schedules, or if need be, just press the Clean button
- Has dual multi-sensor brushes that are capable of picking up both tiny and large items
- Has dirt detect sensors that hone in on high-traffic areas of the house to focus on
- For the price, it’s one a great choice!
- Even though the Roomba 652 can handle many flooring types, it does tend to hit furniture at full speed
Not to be confused with the N79 model, the Deebot N78 is a good option for those looking for a robot vacuum cleaner without too many bells and whistles. What draws me to this is the ‘performance vs. price’ – it has strong reviews and is a lot cheaper than robotic vacuums.
While the N79 is WIFI compatible, this model is controlled manually. It does, however, offer the suction and cleaning power associated with the Ecovacs company.
Simplicity and price is why it made it onto our best robot vacuums list.
- Home mopping system
- 2 exacting side brushes
- Daily scheduling
- Comes with remote control, docking station, and AC adapter. So, it’s nice and convenient.
- Has an automatic charging function as well as the ability to set daily schedules.
- Tangle-free suction for picking up hair (especially useful for dog!)
- Since it’s a more basic model, it can’t be controlled via smartphone. Consider this when purchasing.
Xiaomi RoboRock is an upgrade from its predecessor the Xiaomi Mi Robot Vacuum.
What makes it different that the original is the mobile app and the cleaning capability – with WiFi connection you are able to control it’s cleaning schedule and real-time cleaning from your mobile phone (anywhere in the world).
For a deeper dive into RoboRock Vacuums capabilities and features, please read Adam’s full review – Roborock S5 Robot Vacuum Review
- Quick charging robotic vac
- Comes with plug adapter + upgraded charging dock
- Home mopping function
- Not many robot vacuums offer mopping function
- Mobile app control and commands
- * Home mopping capabilities
- Command using the mobile app on iPhone or Android
- ** Very high ratings online
- Advanced home mapping
- Has automatic charging feature
- More expensive that other robotic vacuums on my list
The Haier XShuat T370 is a robot vacuum cleaner capable of finding every bit of hidden pet hair.
It can sweep and mop and cleans all corners of the house including under the bed and around clutter.
- 3 cleaning modes include spot cleaning, edge cleaning, and Z-shaped cleaning
- Automatically self charges by returning to the docking station
- Spends 90 minutes cleaning and 30 minutes charging
- Remote control and mobile app control
- Robot water tank for mopping
- Inside dust pan for advanced sweeping around the home
- Can be controlled by remote and voice activation
- When syncing up with voice activation (Siri or Alexa) voice commands need to be very clear.
Unlike the ILIFE V3s robot vacuum cleaner that is geared specifically for pet owners, the A4s is an all-purpose robot vacuum cleaner built for any type of mess.
Includes a 3-step cleaning system and multiple smart device sensors so that it never bumps into walls or falls down stairs. When the battery runs low it automatically returns to its docking station to recharge.
Pet hair is where most robotic vacuums have difficulty cleaning, but the V3 doesn’t have a problem – whether it’s on carpet or hardwood flooring, this robot can do the job!
- Comes with charging base, AC adapter, side brushes, and a set of filters
- Comes with a 12-month warranty
- Battery life is 140 minutes which is longer than most other robot vacuum cleaners
- Some mechanical issues with returning to its docking station on its own
For those looking for the epitome of robot vacuum cleaners, which can be controlled via WIFI, this is the machine for you. Is it the best robot vacuum? Let’s take a look!
There’s a lot of cool functionality going for it. It is compatible with both Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, or can be connected to any smartphone. Not to mention, its powerful suction will clean your house and rid your floors of just about anything. Which is its ultimate job.
With its new mapping technology, iRobot claims the Roomba 980 can vacuum the entire home. Yes, you read that right!
If it’s unable to complete the job on a single run (approximately 2-hours), it automatically returns to the recharging dock and completes the job when fully charged.
The 980 is extremely advanced and can detect any flooring surface. When on carpeting, it increases suction power to pick up dust and pet dander. Moving smoothly on hardwood surfaces and unlike the Roomba 652, won’t crash into furniture at full speed.
It’s much more expensive than most, but if price isn’t a huge concern we think you’ll absolutely love this robot vacuum. Read Full Review of Roomba 980 >>
- Comes with charging station, 2 dual mode virtual war barriers, side brush, and filter
- Has a charge of 120-minutes after which it returns to its docking station
- The iRobot HOME app allows you to schedule cleaning times and document preferences
- Because of its vast capabilities, this is sold at a high price point. It can break a few budgets.
- Much more expensive than previous Roomba models
Vacuuming is a dreaded home chore that needs to get done (even though no one enjoys doing it!). The newest generation of robot vacs are greatly improved & provide better suction (for dog hair), anti-collision, and multi-sensors.
What makes the recent generation of robot vacuums different is the upgraded mobile capability. Many of them (including the Roomba 980 and Deebot N79S) have a mobile app letting you command your vacuum from anywhere – when paired with advanced home mapping capabilities, you can even command it to clean only specific rooms or area in your home.
Hopefully you enjoyed our review of the best robot vacuums – if you’d like us to look at others please let us know!
** Note to qualify for the best robot vacuums list, vacs must be sold on Amazon and have 4+ Star rating
Best Robot Vacuums – Related:
Best Robot Vacuums, List Posts: